May 13, 2014

Springtime in Paris Fabric Book

This months kit theme at Alpha Stamps is Springtime in Paris. So guess who was extremely happy to hear the news? That's right, me!  I knew I was going to be stamping images onto the new satin ribbons that Alpha Stamps would be carrying,  and I got to have a free for all project as well. I was amazed how easy it really was.


Before starting my project, I had to make sure I had a hard surface to do my stamping on and have my rollers as well. It seems the only time I can get a good impression from a stamp is when I use a roller all over the area, vertically and horizontally, several times.


After practicing a few times, I was ready to go. The VersaCraft Chalk Pigment Pad works so well on both satin ribbon and fabric. The image comes out very clean and not chunky. I used this pad in both Real Black and Poppy Red.


When applying the ink to the stamp, I usually coat it back and forth a few good times. I also check for ink lines that sometimes occur when applying. This happens when a line is left in the texture of the ink which is no good if you want a clean print of your image.


A few good rolls, being careful not to move the stamp, and there you have it. The above stamp is the Boho Paisley Clear Stamp. As you can see it is really long so I used an extra large acrylic mount that I had to mount it.


Now to do it again using the Poppy Red ink pad.





Fabulous! Don't stress about getting a perfect image. I like the old worn look. Below I used a smaller stamp from the set Fleur De Lis Bird & Arrow. The VersaCraft Chalk Pigment Pads are so easy to use and the inks consistency gives a nice, smooth image.


One item that I always have handy are diaper wipes. They are perfect for cleaning off stamps, messy fingers, and whatever else might need some cleaning up.

Now I will do the same thing on the new satin ribbons from Alpha Stamps. This ribbon is tan and I am using the same stamp as above.  I love repeating images on ribbon. You can use it in so many projects and also personalize things as well.


Now usually, I would look at the picture below and think, "No way, not trying that" but I was again surprised at how easy it was. After shaking the Lumiere Metallic Acrylic Paint in Metallic Gold, I used a makeup sponge to apply the ink. Place your sponge on top of the open bottle and give it a quick tip over like you would nail polish remover. Then dab it all over your stamp. Do this two or three times to get a good even coat and also to spread the ink out so there are no puddles. Then flip, roll, and Voila! When using the acrylic paint on your fabric, directions do say to let it dry for 24 hours and if you want to set the ink just iron over both sides.



This stamp is called Damask Study and it is another loooooong one.


Once I had my images stamped I was ready to play with them. 


I used a vintage table cloth to create my book which was all lightly glued and sewn by hand. I tore strips off to give it that frayed, shabby look. In between pages I added a layer of an old, pieced quilt to thicken my pages, but you could also use some batting.

This pocket was added using a vintage red ticked tea towel. So french, don't you think?

Now this is a stamp I am extra excited about and is new to Alpha Stamps. It is called French Bees Collage Rubber Stamp and was created using the new French Floral Overlays Collage Sheet. The sheet can be purchased as a digital download or on Cardstock, Transparency or on a Sticker Sheet. I love all of these options that Alpha Stamps now offers. 




Using ripped pieces of fabric, I was able to make a "stamped ribbon" of sorts using the French Bees Collage Rubber Stamp and Lumiere Metallic Acrylic Paint in Old Brass. I love how it turned out! Again, heat-set by ironing both sides 24 hours after stamping.


Here is another sample using both the new French Bees Collage Rubber Stamp and
French Floral Collage Rubber Stamp.


Below are more samples of stamped satin ribbon using the Fleur De Lis Bird & Arrow Clear Stamp Set, Nest Amour Clear Stamp Set, and the Scroll/Leaf Border Rubber Stamp from Alpha Stamps. Be sure to check out all of the new satin ribbons at Alpha Stamps (Ivory, Lt. Pink, Tan, Antique Blue, and Moss..


A sample using the VersaCraft Chalk Pigment Pad in Poppy Red.


OK, last project, I promise. I was just having too much fun. I made the below card using some of the beautiful supplies from this months "Springtime in France" kit. Click on the link for more info.



I hope you enjoyed your visit and were inspired to create. It is my "me time" and my therapy. If you have any questions or need any help, feel free to contact me. Thanks for visiting!

XOXO

Supplies Used:

French Bees Collage Rubber Stamp
French Floral Collage Rubber Stamp
Satin 7/8 inch Ribbon - Tan
VersaCraft Chalk Pigment Pad - Poppy Red
VersaCraft Chalk Pigment Pad - Real Black
Lumiere Metallic Acrylic Paint - Metallic Gold
Damask Study Clear Stamp
Boho Paisley Clear Stamp
Fleur De Lis Bird & Arrow Clear Stamp Set
Nest Amour Clear Stamp Set

2 comments:

Michele said...

wonderful tutorial, thank you! such beautiful work. xo

Rhondamum said...

Thank you Michele! I'm glad you stopped by and enjoyed. Hope to see you again soon! xoxo Rhonda...