June 20, 2015

The Life of A Mermaid Can Be Dangerous

I have seen some gorgeous work from other members of the Alpha Stamps Design Team.  I always do and if you have a chance, be sure to pay them a visit. This months kit, Mermaids, just has a magical quality about it. I decided to alter a cigar box and I really love how it all came into place and the finished piece. 



I wanted it to look as if it was a treasure found on the bottom of the ocean. A vessel with growth all around, shells, plants, and pieces of life.




There is all sorts of beauty and treasure on the ocean floor. But as a mermaid collecting bits of sea glass, one must be careful where they wander. Nasty little sea elves are down there you know, and if you get into one of their piles you might meet a nasty fate. 



So many little treasures, you can understand why I made such an elaborate piece. These tiny shells, beautiful sea glassceramic octopus and these marvelous Iridescent Glass Micro Beads just add so much mystery with the way they capture the light. I want to cover my studio walls with them, lol.


My favorite part of this project was the way I created the texture on not only the cigar box, but also on the chipboard coral.


Working on one side at a time, I added multiple layers of Distress Paints, Metal Patinas, Liquid Pearls, Lindys Sprays and Lumiere Metallic Paint. In between each layer, I would heat with an embossing gun until each layer would crackle, pop and grow. It became a natural looking element of the design that I enjoyed like a child throwing poppers on the ground.

Heat
Layer
Spray
Heat
Repeat

The Lumiere paint and Liquid Pearls created the best effect. Below is the same process on the coral.



I used the same technique on my chipboard coral pieces. The colors would blend together and rise with the heat and I didn't stop until I heard it popping. It looks like a real piece of nature's growth.



I used this same technique inside of the cigar box along with some of the new and beautiful Unearth Patina Scrapbook Paper which was the inspiration piece for my project's colors. 





Do you see the large shell behind the terrified mermaid? It was the main inspiration for my project. You can find it on the top of my box as well as inside on both the top and bottom . It comes from the Spellbinders Embossing Folder called Shell Beauty. I ran it through my Big Shot Cutting Machine on plain card stock, patterned card stock and loved the results on velum. If you have a way to use these Embossing Folders, I strongly encourage you to do so.



Below are some close up photos so that you can see even more details and all of the little treasures in my underwater ocean. But be warned, whatever you do, DO NOT look into the eyes of that evil elf mermaid. He will capture your soul and keep you in his sea dungeon.








Thank you so much for stopping by and wherever this day finds you, may you be blessed and inspired!
xoxo


Supplies Used:

1 comment:

Gabistella said...

Gorgeous! you are very creative Rhonda.
Gabistella